|Wilbur's Frequently Asked Questions|
1. What is Dauset Trails? Dauset
Trails is a private, non-profit nature center based on environmental education that is open for all to enjoy. In addition, we provide environmental programs
(by reservation only) for groups.. There is currently no fee for guided programs.
Programs include Mammals/Birds of Prey, Reptiles, Tree ID, Early Farm Life/Blacksmithing, and Orienteering.
2. How much does it cost to see Dauset Trails? There is no fee for admission or parking. We do accept donations at the Visitor's Center. Make a donation, take home a free souvenir!
3. What does Dauset Trails have to offer? There are 1400 acres of scenic woods, fields, creeks and lakes. You can see native, live animals on exhibit (non-releasable) and in the wild, hike and bike 20 miles of trails, horseback ride 10 miles of trail separate from the hiking and biking trails, enjoy wildflower landscapes in the Woodland Garden and Children's Garden, picnic...
4. What kinds of animals are at Dauset Trails?Live animals including native mammals, birds of prey and reptiles of Georgia. See big pond-type fish and waterfowl. Also see common farm animals at our barnyard exhibit.
5. How did you get these animals? All of our animals are non-releasable and have either been injured or orphaned and were donated by the GA DNR, Obediah's Okefenok, Audubon Society, and private citizens.
6. Are you open today?
Yes, if it's not Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's. The nature center is open daily from 9-5. No entry one hour before closing.
7. Who runs Dauset Trails? A private foundation, The Daughtry Foundation, supplies the resources to maintain the center and 10 employees.
8. What does the word "Dauset" mean? Dauset was created from the last names of two people who started the Nature Center in 1977: Hampton Daughtry + David Settle = Dauset.
9. How do I get to Dauset Trails?
Dauset Trails is just minutes from I-75 South at Exit 205 or 198. Go to our map and print one for the road.
10. Do you have a gift shop?
We have a small display area in the main office where you can buy shirts, caps, hiking sticks, bluebird houses, cups, camping accessories, patches, buttons, and King of Pops all natural posicles.
11. Do you offer camping?
We do have camping areas, but only for organized groups such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H, church groups etc., by reservation only. Call (770)775-6798 to make a reservation.
12. Do you have cabins for camping?
No. However, we do have camping platforms we call "Turkey Roosts." For these you only need a sleeping bag. You can bring your tent and other gear to use our tent pads, fire rings, and lantern poles.
13. How long does it take to see everything?
Allow yourself about 2 hours to see all of our main exhibits including the Animal Trail, Wonder Room, Farm Animals, Woodland Garden Trail, and the Children's Garden. Bring a picnic lunch and stay a while. Allow additional time for exploring our hiking trails!
14. How do I reserve a pavilion or the big room inside the Visitor's Center (Atrium)?
Reservations can only be made by phone. Call our office at (770)775-6798 and we will check our reservation calendar to see if there is an opening for you. The calendar fills quickly, so have a couple of alternate days in mind.
15. Can we get married at Dauset Trails?
Yes. We offer a wedding package that includes use of the Chapel and the Atrium Room or Pavilion 2 for a reception. You provide a pastor, caterer, decorations, etc. See "Chapel" for more details.
16. Can we go swimming? Or fishing?
No. Swimming and fishing are only for camping groups and only at the camping areas.
17. Can we bring our dog to walk around?
Yes and No. You may bring your dog on a leash only on our hike and bike trail system. Pets are not allowed inside the fenced-in nature center area.
18. Do you allow bike riding on the trails?
Yes, we do have many trails open for mountain-bike riding. A few trails are designated for hiking only located inside the fenced-in nature center area. See our "Trails" page for a printable map and more info.
19. Do you have horse-back riding? Yes. There are 10 miles of horse riding trails. BYOH. Access these trails from Lake Clark Rd., not the main visitor's area. We sometimes have a horse at our farm animal exhibit, but not for riding.
20. Do you sell food inside of the park or should we plan on a picnic lunch? We do not sell food for people. We have a Coke machine on the deck of the Visitors Center. Please bring a meal and enjoy a picnic on our tables.
21. Can we bring our own food to feed the animals, fish, ducks etc.? No. Food brought in to Dauset Trails is not allowed to be fed to our animals. We have food machines provided at several locations to feed fish and other animals.
22. Can we have a birthday party here? Yes, parties can be held at Dauset Trails. However, we do not offer birthday programs. You can use the free picnic tables first-come-first-serve or reserve a pavilion for $100.00 rental fee.
23. Do you have an 800 number? No. We do have a cool number though and it is (770) 775-6798.